Old 09-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
MM
United_States
Re: The Exploits of Ueshiba Morihei

From Aikido Journal Issue 116

An interview with Masando Sasaki

Quote:
Masando Sasaki wrote:
I remember he got angry at me when I asked him, "Sensei, how should I explain when people ask me what aikido is?" (laughter) Hardly anyone had even heard of aikido back then, so I always had a hard time explaining it. I figured Ueshiba Sensei would be able to explain it since he was the one who created it. But when I asked him, he stamped the ground and exclaimed, "Aiki? I am aiki!"
and

Quote:
Masando Sasaki wrote:
Once when I went with him to the Omoto church in Ueno, all the way there I as by his side supporting and helping him along, but as soon as we entered the shrine and began climbing the stairs he suddenly cried, "Stay back! We're going before the kami-san!" and threw me away from him with a kokyuho. As O-Sensei always said, "Aiki is something we learn from the kami-san," and his final teachings to me were seeing him adopt such a personal carriage before the kami when he could barely even walk on his own, as well as the kokyuho he threw me away with on that occasion. He passed away two or three months later.
and

Quote:
Masando Sasaki wrote:
But I persevered: "Someone throws a ball and you hit it with the bat." He said, "Ah, I see ... well then, bring me a wooden sword." He then had Arakawa swing the bat as hard as he could at his sword, but the bat bounced right off and almost flew out of his hands.