View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan
Re: O'Sensei's Videos

Osensei may have created aikido, but that doesn't mean that what he did was automatically "true" aikido. There are as many styles as there are masters. what is important is that they all use the same principles, they are just manifested differently. my sensei often demonstrates some different styles, says "there is nothing wrong with this style, there is a process to doing it this way, however, what I want you to focus on is this (his style)". I practiced at a dojo where only one or two top students could remotely do the technique properly the way the shihan does it. to me this is frustrating, but that doesn't mean I don't apprechiate that style. my shihan now teaches a style that is easy for beginners to see and vaguely understand. For me I can see what sensei is doing, even if I can't imitate it yet. A lot of dojos use weapons. I often wondered why we didn't until recently I read an interview with Tanaka Bansen sensei, the founder of Osaka Aikikai. He said the Osensei told him not to do weapons. I was pretty shocked. From that interview it sounded to me like Osensei was trying to spread aikido throughout japan, and had no intention to "hide" anything. It was really interesting, I'll try to post it later.