View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #86
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: Ki Aikido - quote from Gleason Sensei

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
Are you still in the loop enough there to make that call? (not questioning "who the heck are YOU?" but more "do you have a sense what they're up to, now?") I don't hear of a lot of guys from that space (although one of my former BJJ training buddies was one of Rickson's blue belts back in the 90s when the UFCs were first getting started ) anymore, so I don't know what the focus of the curriculum is - if it's Rickson't "stuff", BJJ, MMA, some combo, a tiered school with a big flock to keep the lights on and an inner circle that does the real training - hard to tell.

I'm familiar with those disciplines and while I don't disagree that Rickson particularly might have added "stuff" to his game and bodyskillset in that practice - I'm more talking about the "stuff" that is inside traditional BJJ practice (as brought over in the "judo" at that time from Japan). If you look at the mythology of BJJ (or history, depending on your level of dogma), Helio "discovered" a way in which jujitsu could better be used to beat someone larger than you . . etc . . with some very ancillary conversations behind the scenes I wouldn't be surprised if some of the less sophisticated ki/kokyu stuffs hadn't made their way into it. Helio, being smaller and in his research to "maximize" leverage and the application of force . . well . . *follows bread crumbs that may or may not be imaginary*

And I wouldn't necessarily go there, either if I hadn't talked to a few folks that, when feeling this kind of weird strength, didn't start talking about how their teachers or teacher's teacher in brazil would be talking about using breath and pressure and intent to effect a lock or submission or change in position. I tend not to put much stock into "my teacher sez" with regard to how something works because there have been whole generations of a system where the advocates parrot jargon and make things up.

However, if there is something to it, at the very least there's an implication that more of this ki/kokyu stuff was wider spread, wasn't well explained and subsequently has been lost in transmission in a number of places.

Who knows? Perhaps it was never that high a priority . . but in my experiences feeling someone with or without this sort of unusual power - regardless of your abilities to apply it - having this kind of development effects your overall quality of life (for the better - and that's a generalization, but I think relevant to the other "on fire" thread in the General section with regard to size, health, habits, etc.).

As it's been a hobby of mine to see how IS fits better into a grappling (and moving on into MMA) paradigm, I see some breadcrumbs that are already there, even if enough have been eaten or misplaced to obscure the path, it provides something of an "up" or "down" directional vector for hopefully further ascending the budo mountain.

In terms of aikido - at this point in my martial hobby training - aikido is a luxury choice you can make based on doing all of the "other work" that makes such a choice possible.
I hear, you, unfortunately I'm not in that world anymore except peripherally, so I don't know what's going on except that I know Rickson started to teach a series of "special" seminars that had to be attended consecutively, but I don't know if they continued after the first couple or so.... I don't hear much anymore....

Last edited by Aiki1 : 06-23-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido