View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
Peter Boylan
United_States
Re: What Makes A Good Dojo?

Quote:
Ze'ev Erlich wrote: View Post
The Late Fujita Masatake Sensei (8th dan aikikai and 12 years deshi of O-Sensei) used to mention four main points for a good dojo:
1. A clean place.
2. A picture of O-Sensei visible from each part of the dojo and hung high enough so it can be seen while practicing.
3. People practice without talking to each other.
4. Waraku 和楽 : Harmony and happiness supported by good etiquette (he used to quote about it from the teachings of Confucius)
I'm not really comfortable with that #3. Why should people not talk to each other? The dojo I like best, and where I find the most real learning going on, there is gentle, quiet, communication going on between partners. Budo isn't for training military units developing a general, uniform skill level. It's for developing individual skills within groups with a wide range of skill levels. The aspect of the technique that I am working on will be very different from the aspect that a relative beginner is focusing on, and both will be different from someone with twice my experience. There is a place for silent practice, and a place for verbal communication. Dojo that are all silence, or that are all talk, are equally problematic to me.

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com