View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Looking For A Combative Oriented Aikido School in NY

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
I won't even bother to try and explain why I do not necessarily agree with Shaun's assessment of the Aikido world.
Hi Mark,

Sorry if the truth as I see it (one I clearly indicated was based solely on my personal experience) was so contrary to your personal sensibilities. However, just because you don't like my truth, you don't simply get to dismiss it. You most certainly don't get to do so with the logic you provided in the rest of your post.

Is there some remarkable difference in the statement that I made here

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
The best thing to do is visit various schools and watch a few beginner, and some advanced classes. Then take a free class to get a feel for the schools culture, If something feels off for your, move on to the next one. I visited about a dozen or so when I moved to NY before I realized that I was not going to find what I was looking for. That is my own experience and YMMV.
and yours, here
Quote:
Trust your own opinion as to a school, teacher, style, whether or not Aikido is "right" for you......
What part of did you specifically disagree with so much that you had to negate the entire worthiness of your post with this nonsense?

Quote:
Nor would I look toward he, myself, or anybody else for that matter for "private" info on schools, an instructors, style, etc... Everybody has a rear-end and an opinion. Many times, they are mistakenly crossed.
Quote:
Krav Maga is not a martial art but a fighting system used by the Israeli military.
And Aikido is a martial art which is not used by any military. Given the arts the OP is already studying, something bereft of the baggage associated with traditional martial arts systems may integrate very well into his training regimen.

Quote:
Most instructors in the US are not ex-Israeli officers who were military instructors in that area. Instead, they are proud owners of a certificate from a certificate program.
Hmmm, I am wondering other than the Aikido certificate that you have received in Aikido, from the certificate program that you went through, what you have that is any different? Is it a matter of time or dedication to the program needed? I know plenty of 4th and 5th dan Aikido certificate holders that have been training 20 and 30 years who couldn't back up over a half-filled pail of water without getting wet... Did you have a bad experience with someone from a Krav Maga school? One can only wonder.

Quote:
The difference between a military instructor in that area and a certificate owner is quite substantial (chime in Kevin if you know of any Israeli military instructors).
And that doesn't make them any better necessarily either. Having lived in Israel and spent my time in and around the military what I can say is that you will get a hell of a lot more bad-attitude, but not necessarily any better training. One could also use your point to mean that the OP should pack a bag and head right off to Honbu dojo, too.

Quote:
Good luck!
isn't that what I said?

Since you feel so strongly that there are qualified teachers of Aikido who can deliver the level of training (not simply a well constructed class where one will be out of breath at the end) that the OP is looking for, please do us all a favor by simply stating who and where they are...

When someone comes in the door looking for self defense, or combat Aikido, that tells you so much about them from the get go. Sure Aikido is a wonderful art form, one that a person can spend the rest of their lives studying. However, misleading them to think that it will develop any sort of short-term self defense or combat readiness is part of the identity problem Aikido has been going through for several decades. It really is about time that we step up and stop making Aikido out to be something that it is not

Best in training to you and all...

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.