View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
DH
United_States
Re: Different training methods . . . same skills?

Quote:
Timothy Walters Kleinert wrote: View Post
I can't say for sure how relaxation leads to the manifestation of fascia connections, other than to say it does. I can make a guess.
I also wonder... exercises like zhan zhuang seem to "heat up" the body and increase blood flow. I think this phenomenon is related to relaxation (I also get hot doing meditation). I wonder if that blood flow might stimulate the fascia, which gets the whole ball rolling. I should ask my teacher about all this.
Hi Timothy
I'd say relaxation in standing doesn't neccesarily lead to fascial connections. Hard work-that requires -muscle- relaxation and serious mental concentration does. Our saying is "The mind gives out before the body." And the more in tune you get mentally with the body the MORE your mind is working. But there are many things you could, or could NOT be doing. So, I wouldn't say that "standing leads to fascial control." I've met more than a few people who can do the former yet exhibit little to nothing of the later. And worse still couldn't really do jack under any kind of moving and actve fighting pressure. It was all talk.

I'd wonder if standing, done by most, is more of structure, and frame work. "Standing through gravity"-as bone/ tendon. I think there are better ways to strengthen connections in moving, to burn -in tendon/ fascia connections. Then, go on to better ways to do even that -some involving standing, chiefly involving breath/fascia work. Which coincidentally makes me hot as well. The old addage of training in the snow is very real. But there you are actively moving things in and out while standing still.
Taken as a whole I think bodywork is best done as a combination of solo-not-moving, then solo-actively-moving.
What I mean is
1. Still, learning pathways and framework
2. Moving, doing connection exercises
3. Moving, with load resisitence from a helper
Then
1. Still, learning breath/ fascia work
2. Moving, doing breathwork in motion
3. Moving, with load resistence from a helper
Then
Freestyle,

But training never goes away and never stops. You can train anywhere, doing anything 24/7. Its the greatest spine/ head-rush during "the act" you'll ever get. and will keep you awake while driving long distances, or better still one very tough customer in jujutsu.

Last edited by DH : 07-22-2007 at 10:23 AM.