View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #12
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: What is an "advanced technique?"

Enjoyed the read.

I think sometimes we equate "advance" with a level of competency, not complexity. Sometimes this is not the case. For example, a high school English teach may be a better writer than a collegiate 400-level English teacher; the difference is the complexity of educational content taught, not the level of competency possessed by the teacher.

From my perspective, "advanced" technique should be instruction that takes place at a more critical depth of education. If I hear someone talk about "advanced" technique, it better precede a pretty darn good explanation that improves my understanding of the topic.

Also, I believe that "advanced" education should lead to excelled performance. In other words, at some point in time, the education should correlate with competency, especially in the field of the advanced knowledge. But the relationship is not necessarily bi-directional. I think there are very competent aikido people who simply cannot explain what they are doing. I think there are aikido people capable of explaining what they do, but not performing (because of injury, illness, etc.). I also think their are aikido who are full of... what may or may not be fertilizer.

Jon Reading