View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #52
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: why do people search outside Aikido for IS?

Before we even get to definitions and such, I think you need to walk through the arguments and figure out where you stand. I think you need to start with figuring out why people are looking for information elsewhere...

We have had many years since the founder's passing in which to produce a competent aikidoka, theoretically one at least as competent as the founder, if not possibly excelled. While we have had many competent aikidoka, I believe that we have yet to see anyone who received 100% of O Sensei's teachings. We have another generation of deshi passing on, most of whom did not pass on 100% of their teachings. Something about the definition of idiocy...

This is what did it for me. The promise that in no way I would excel beyond my instructor and that I would receive only a portion of the teaching available to me unless I figured out how to change that equation myself.

Roll the dice. Either keep training the way previous generations of aikido people trained, or figure out what's busted and start reclaiming lost information. I think before arguing about who's right and wrong we need to get some colors to band around and figure out what it is we are arguing.