View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: ASU testing requirements

Quote:
Jim Sorrentino wrote: View Post
To be eligible to test for gokyu, one must practice a minimum of 60 days over a minimum four-month period after testing for rokyu. Per the 3rd edition of the ASU handbook, "only one hour per day may count in computing time requirements." (See http://www.aikido-nova.org/asuhandbook.pdf, page 6.) Again, please keep in mind that these are minimum requirements.

I hope this is helpful.

Jim
Everybody always wants to look at the minimum time figure, but the really important figure is the "Hours" figure which should really be called "Training Days". The average student at my dojo is training 1 or 2 times a week. A "serious" student at my dojo is training 3 times per week consistently. At that level of frequency, those minimum time figures are moot, basically.

For the person training 3 times per week, week in and week out, it would take three years to work through the kyu requirements (approx). Then it's another 12 months until they can take Shodan. So for the average student, it's a minimum of 4 years until Shodan. In my experience, very few people are that consistent. So the average serious student takes between 4 1/2 and 5 years to get Shodan. Those minimum time requirements really only effect the fanatics who are training every day (like we did in the old days).

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com