Thread: Ogawa Ryu ?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
DH
United_States
Re: Ogawa Ryu ?

I don't really care about this group at all.
I think Robert Wolfe has a good handle on it, for having been a victim of it himself. And just because the students drank the kool-aid doesn't mean they are all culpable either.
Why folks have to align themselves with some ancient Japanese something or other -when even much of the real stuff simply sucks-and/or has been morphed through the centuries past any serious credibility anyway-is beyond me. If you must...I mean if you love the ancient Japanese arts....-go do one.
These guys and gals would do better to make -themselves- truly capable and carry on from there. Though it would mean dumping the hakama and gi and just train as a MMA group. Though if they did these supposed "deadly techniques would have to stand on their own merits and their own two feet. Something which most men run from.

As for Dave's excellent argument of fundemental dishonesty.
We then must make cultural allowances for Japanese tatamae and honne where lying is...uhm...credible? I have seen it first hand. Though I was raised properly where there is no excuse for lying and no credible reason for doing so-people.... these days are far more casual about it and who it harms. Why its almost an acceptable form of a social contract now. Just like in Japan.