Thread: Shirata Rinjiro
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #47
Allen Beebe
United_States
Confused Re: Shirata Rinjiro

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I look forward to our explorations of many things together, not the least of which is finding out how to get that damn Japanese flute to even make a sound!!! What is this..some sort of trade secret?
All the best
Dan
Eh hem . . . well . . . I of course understand your confusion. Most individuals are unfamiliar with the little understood nature of Japanese Shakuhachi Ryu Ha and how they operate. You see, here in the West one might, for example, happen to be on a rafting trip and decide to engage a local banjo player in a friendly duel with one's guitar and expect no repercussion or ill will to come from it.

In Japan, however , . . . there are these old lineages such as Kinko Ryu, Kinpu Ryu, and even modern (Ryu) lineages such as the Tozan, Ueda, and Chikuho. Also, there are tributaries from these lineages such as the Nezasa ha Kinpu ryu, or the Kinko Ryu Araki Ha. Each of these lineages is unique in their own way and, yes, they have "trade secrets" even in so simple a thing as naming tunes or note signification (some have specialized note signification and some don't have note names at all.) When one joins one of these schools one is often required to swear an oath. In fact, in the learning of Shakuhachi some have been known to swear many an oath! Anyway, no worries about "trade secrets" with me. I learned in a modern open system . . . which of course was derived from an older system. (Funny how that happens!)

Now, truth be told, the flute that I shared with you is American made not Japanese. It is built basically the same though, and although it has worked fine for me in the past, it is, I regret to say, substantially smaller than the average. Here in lies the problem I'm afraid. Although I assure you it CAN make beautiful music of a sort. The size of the instrument influences its depth of tone, but the person doing the blowing determines the quality of the music!!!

Honestly there is some technique involved, particularly in playing well. There is a commonly known saying, "Kubi furi, san nen" or "it takes three years to learn how to shake the head." But to first begin it really comes down to solo training and body development.

In this case it is probably the development of proper ombature. That shakuhachi isn't very forgiving. You have to have your ombature dead right or you'll get nothing at all. Let's see if we can set you up a bit better in the future!

~ Allen Beebe