Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Life Question - Harming Another Human Being

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Michael:

The story that you mention talks about the necessity of training as shugyo. The samurai displayed unnecessary anger and this did not make him more capable but less capable and vulnerable.

My training has made me a more peaceful, calm person. That has always been my aim. That being said, it is not my choice as the philosophical approach of an attacker. I need to remain centered and act decisively. Those are lofty goals that require a lot of mindful training. At the end of the day, I like being a son, father, and grandfather for another day ! That is a gift that I seek to enjoy each and every day.

I have often told my students that Aikido helps us to enjoy a "Chinese menu" when confronted with conflict. Instead of only having one mode of response, it allows us to be open to a multitude of possibilities. Being centered, connected to the attacker and in the moment should allow the natural "menu" choice to emerge.

Marc Abrams
Great! I'll have the paper wrapped chicken, orange peel beef, and the house special fried rice. Can you do that to go?

Seriously though, I too have found some surprising illuminations from training again. I suppose I'm striving for the optimum, that way, if I fall short, I can still achieve something better.

I quote Elvis Costello...."What's so funny bout peace, love and understanding?"

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"