View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #153
Mike Sigman
Re: Rear Leg

Erick Mead wrote:
Let's avoid interminable terminology debate, and deal on a point of agreement. To close up the stance forward in the irimi (as Shioda demonstrates).

I find myself regularly correcting this one and students regularly relapsing again. Three reasons to do it, from my perspective:

1) The irimi is then complete, centered and forward, and nage is fully committed to the connection, rather than "holding back."
2) The hips are more free when the feet are together to turn and convert any incoming forces in tenkan
3) The whole body has a smaller inertial radius (easier to turn), and thus is extremely responsive to any degree of offline force (thus easier to sense and exploit that inefficiency in the attack)

The "holding back" thing seem to be the cause for relapse.
Once again, you are mistaking "baseline" to mean waza and I don't want to go there.

The baseline skills we're talking about are common in Asian martial arts. That's why all the Asian martial arts talk about ki, kokyu, jin, neijin, peng jin, whatever.... all of the arts, including Aikido. That's what we're talking about. If you knew what those things were, there wouldn't be this endless obstruction to the conversation from you in the forlorn position that there is nothing you don't know. Obviously, to many people reading the thread, you just don't know what we're talking about. You're part of the group that has suffered from a dearth of information over the years, as has been discussed, and you're also part of the problem that has been discussed because you find it infathomable that someone of your omniscience could not know something basic. So, in turn, you are presenting your incomplete perspective of Aikido as the whole banana to a bunch of students. See the problem? If it was me... and it has been in the past... and I wanted to dispute something of this magnitude, I'd go find out, just to be sure, because there's too much of an indication already that you're missing something. My best suggestion to you... not just for you, but for the people you're teaching AND your teacher... is to go find out.

We're talking about ki body-skills; not waza.

Mike Sigman