View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 05:23 PM   #19
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Poll: How important is "being martially effective" in your aikido training?

Quote:
Dave Organ wrote:
Dude - Sorry; but I have no idea what you just said.

Having experience both in the dojo and on the battlefield - the real one - I can personally attest the two are not related.
Martial Art does not mean 'to survive on the battlefield'. Surviving on the battlefield is getting your head down, getting in close to the enemy, giving flying metal the right of way, and getting out with the same number of holes you went in with. All this 'martial arts is military' crap is pure fantasy.

Can you please elaborate somewhat on your point?
Quote:
Answeres are only easy, if they are incomplete.
Thanks for the help. This answer won't be easy AND it will stay incomplete.

On the "real battlefield" a good martial artist will git his head down, might give a lot of flying metal the right of way and hopefully gets out safely. Anything else would be self-destructive. There are few situations, where you could see the difference. I am not a soldier, even though I did my military service - mostly in an office, sorting paper. And I am not pretending in being a good martial artist - not yet.

On the mat you are not getting up showing everyone "I am invincible", unless you are the teaching sensei. You are approaching your partner without fear, do your technique as good as you can, and you take care that you and all your fellow aikidoka leave the dojo healthy as much as it is in your responsibility. That is all the analogy to the "real" battlefield. But doing this seriously might even prepare you for not being braver than necessary and not being more frightened than needed for being careful.

For all others of us who luckily do not have to fight for live in their "real world" there all these little "battlefields" to be survived, not just living, but healthy and strong. The job, ffriends and family, daily traffic, and hopefully for only a few of us the "city alligators". If the "DO" of aiki, karate, ju, kyo, or iai helps you in those, it is a good starting point.

It is the way on the path of former warriors, but it is not educating or training warriors at all. You have to dive in the mind of that warriors to understand, but you will learn to make up your own mind and to make your own decisions.

Whether that is good or bad for soldiers or law enforcement officers might be subject of discussion. They need something additional for sure.

And if it in war, on the street or wherever - you should use whatever you have and use it in the best way possible. If you have a repertoire of capabilities not to harm unnecessarily and you choose those, which are safe enough and as non-violent as possible, then you learnt your lessons in martial arts.

Hope that clarifies at least a little bit.

Stay safe, wherever you are

Dirk