View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #83
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: The internal 'how to' thread... let's hope

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Why would "attitudes" be an entre' into any discussion topic about these skills, though? We all have our opinions about others' "attitudes", but generally keep them to ourselves. Here's a good comment showing that "attitudes" can be perceived in 2 entirely different ways:

"Reprove not a scorner (or the self-absorbed. m.s.) lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee." Proverbs 9:8

There are people who talk through these topics and, as Ellis and others note, simply ignore any perceived "personality" or "attitude". They read for substance. I'm not so sure I would pat anyone on the back for making an entry with a few comments about his important perceptions of others' attitudes. I'd just suggest everyone try to stay on topic.

Regards,

Mike
I believe he was simply saying that I didn't just start using ad hominem arguments and leave it at that as others have done, I actually offered substance. At least that's how I read it. In any case the initial things I posted were just the culmination of months of being annoyed and then deciding to actually join the conversation in a worthwhile way, after I'd been a pain in the backside for a bit of course. But I tend to do that, you'd think I'd know better really, but apprently I don't <sigh>

Anyway, gotta run now (I'm already late), but the extremely brief notm much more than one sentence answer to how O Sensei bounces someone pushing on his chest is (and it is massively oversimplified, so please wait for a better description when I have the time): If he is keeping a correct posture and is in a relaxed state the force someone applies to his chest if their hand were on the middle of it would be loaded onto his spine, the base of which is supported by his centre and hips. He would simply release the force they have loaded and it would travel back up their arm, the harder they were pushing the easier iot would be to throw them a fair distance. Exactly how he would 'release the force' is a much more detailed discussion I don't have time for right now. Gotta run. Catch you tomorrow.

Mike

PS - I reserve the right to think deeply on this matter for the next day and totally contradict what I just said if I should realise I was talking utter bollocks.

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr