View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
NTT

Dojo: Ringenkai
France
Re: Livre sur Noro senseļ, l'Aļkido et le Kinomichi

I know well the deep impression Norro sensei left on his English students. I meet him in 1980 at the time when he switched from Aikido to Kinomichi. It was indeed still very dynamic, yet with a softness in progress.On the mat was Daniel Martin who later became student of Tamura sensei and Saito sensei who awarded him 6th dan Iwama Ryu. Also there was Regis Borel who was contemporary with Michel Becard sensei and Daniel Toutain sensei who became student of Saito sensei. He recieved 6th Dan Aikikai from Ueshiba Moriteru. That is to point out the dynamic range of the technics in those days. What changed was the will to integrate the yin to the yang on display on the mat.
The general opinion is that his accident forced him to soften his practice. I do not share this opinion. I studied in his dojo although I had no accident to explain why coming from Judo, going into Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu kenjutsu and Chen Taichi, I did a softer Aikido. I followed Noro sensei in his search for a more balanced practice, doing technics from a yin extreme point to a yang extreme point. That did not mean staying motionless in the middle. Of course, many fled the new yin direction because it is truly difficult to work both extremes.
In his words, he never stopped studying Aikido. He repeatedly said on the mat that his art started when he first saw the art of Ueshiba Morihei sensei. I believe he still liked the yang aspect but wished to see the yin within the yang and opposite. One can see such a direction in the practice of Asai sensei, his close friend who at least considered Noro sensei as his sempai.
I am truly happy to hear how well the British Aikidoka remember Noro sensei. I enjoy the video you post in memory of those days.
Odyle Noro, his wife, told me the other day about an English Aikidoka who was close to Noro sensei.
My book is a story I tell in my own words (my French is a teeny-weeny bit better than my English ), it is an analysis of his work and a knitting of references to the Oriental way of thinking, of Chinese Classics and else.
In Noro's softness, in his grip, I could feel the power he demonstrated before. He just refused to show more of it. He wanted us to pay attention to the yin side of Aikido, not to forget the yang side of the mountain. But I could feel how it was boiling in his veins. He was still quick tempered!
My hope is an Aikido ranging from one extreme to the other, forgetting none.

Nguyen Thanh Thien
Aikido Ringenkai and Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu kenjutsu
Aikido Ringenkai in French and author of "Le voyage d'un maītre" in French