Thread: Ai-nuke
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #90
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Ai-nuke

Quote:
Oisin O'brien Bourke wrote: View Post
Well, these conversations never really go anywhere, so I'll just note that, while I agree that Shioda shared body methodology with some daito ryu people, there are major differences too, which are even more pronounced in his students.The more that I've trained in DR, the more profound I've found these differences to be, which is one reason why I advocate people actually train in the art in a prolonged manner. Shioda met and trained with Horikawa BTW. I also think that the 'engine' analogy is not really an accurate one, for reasons too lengthy to go into, but to use another analogy, taking the same 'vitamins' from a food or from a pill isn't really the same 'thing' either.
This is an interesting point and something for conversation, I think. As a premise, I happen to believe that internal power body movement is pretty old and existent in any number of arts across a number of geographies. I also happen to think the methodologies of training have overlapping components and unique components. So how can we be respectful and conscious of the methodologies that impact our training? At what point are we being disrespectful? I think this line is fluid, but something that also drives our training.

Part of this thread is talking about elevating a particular training methodology and arguing its merits.