Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #47
Cass

Dojo: Aikido Academy
Greece
Re: Complementary Aikido Styles

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
No, nothing gender related at all.

Judo is hard on the body and, from your posts, I think you still do not have the athleticism and thoughness required. BJJ, as grondahl pointed, is softer and in some aspects more similar to Aikido than to Judo.
Then it's proof that reading what a person says online does not make you know the person. I have above average athleticism and a better level of overall fitness than half of the people training in judo at my dojo. A little injury prone with my knees perhaps. Mentally perhaps a little too honest, competitive and emotional, though I think that would hurt progression in judo no more than in aikido - in fact competitiveness I believe is a good factor there.

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
Ehhhhh, just answer me this please, what is the main reason you started training in Aikido in the first place?
No individual reason really. I wanted a place to meet more people, to improve my balance, feel a little safer in the city and following the "samurai martial art" sounded fun. And hell, the hakama makes everything look cool, I liked what I saw at my dojo.

Anyway, ultimately I would probably try both BJJ and Judo to see which felt better, both seem to fill the gaps where Aikido lacks. I have always enjoyed strength-based sports so grappling would likely be refreshing.

Aikido Discord Live Chat: https://discord.gg/Vxdcmz6