Old 05-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #93
MM
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Hi Mark:

Then you are a gentle, trusting soul.

If he was showing everything to everybody, Tohei and a number of others would not have publicly commented that Ueshiba didn't show them things and everyone in Aikido would already know how to do power releases and the jo-trick.

Regards,

Mike
LOL, well, I don't remember anyone ever calling me a gentle, trusting soul before. That's a first.

The part about Ueshiba showing everything is just a working theory that I've been mulling over. I wouldn't say he showed everyone, but I think he might have showed them everything at one point or another.

I've read that some of his students just didn't understand the things he said to them. Now, they might have just attributed his speeches to Omoto Kyo, but what if they weren't? What if Ueshiba was actually telling them in his own way how to get to some of the levels he was on? What if it was his way of teaching.

It reminds me of something Ellis Amdur mentioned about part of his martial art. Something about how he had expected his students to pick up on a move but they didn't. But once directly taught and/or shown, it seemed so obvious. Well, I don't think Ueshiba explained it to anyone in that manner; he expected them to find it on their own.

But that didn't mean he didn't show everything he knew. Theoretically, anyway.

Mark