View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #23
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: multiple opponents / ending fights

Quote:
Kevin Costa wrote:

How can you end a fight? while you're pinning someone you can't defend yourself against other people and you can't pin your opponent there forever so what's preventing him from attacking you again after you let him go? Besides breaking one of his limbs or injuring him severely I don't see how you can end the fight.
Hmmm Kevin, golly! You are right. If faced with multiple opponents, I won't be so nice to pin and let him off so lightly. Breaking limbs and stuff like that are in my cards. Being outnumbered makes the aggressors unfair in the first place so why be nice to them?

Quote:
...<snip>... However, it's completely impractical, and HIGHLY unlikely, if unarmed, that you will be successful when attacked by more then 2 people, not that it can't happen, but dealing with one person is hard enough!
-Chris Hein
Chris, IMO I think you have such perception simply because when you think of alteration, you are thinking like those macho macho man going one on one trying to slug it out like what you see in UFC etc. (quite akin to two young rams trying to head butt each other). It's OK, it's a guy thing, I know.

However, for the benefit of Kevin Costa, if you are in an undesirable situation faced with multiple aggressors, use your unsoku (leg movement) and tai sabaki (body movement) to move around the group. Use hit and run tactics e.g., an atemi here and there. NEVER NEVER linger and try to slug it out one on one with any members of the group. Cause as much confusion within the group as possible, such as using erratic movement. That is why learn how to irimi and tenkan properly. Use the group members as shield, break up the group.

Next you will ask, have I been in a real group alteration before? No. I have not. Don't know why... must be my lifestyle and demeanour I guess.

Nonetheless, I practice regularly in a dojo (just like millions of normal aikido hobbyist) doing randori often enough to know a little of group dynamics. In a four to one randori, I found out that there is no way I can execute the pins (katame waza) or locks (kansetsu waza). All I can manage to execute successfully are the kokyu nage and atemi waza techniques and they work just fine. I try to move as little as possible (conserving my breath), moving/dodging between uke in an unpredictable manner.

I also found out that in dojo setting, as part of Good Dojo Practice, I hold back my atemi or when say for example throwing using Hijiate Kokyunage (Hitting of Elbow breath throw), I let my uke roll out. In a real alteration, why should I? I can very well hold on to the wrist and bang through his elbow to dislocate it. So I guess if I am in such serious situation, I will damn not try to slug it out mano-uno-mano, but use hit and run tactics.

To further my post... in my randori session, by keeping my movement small and minimal I have manage to somehow outlast and outplay my ukes. They seem more out of breath than I am and I am not talking some old man or old lady, more of high school teenagers. It is not to say I am fitter than them, but rather I chose to make them work hard to get me.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.