View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #83
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
Reuben Yap wrote: View Post
When practicing a specific technique, resistance should only be so that you can feel how the technique should work and how the application of force from uke affects his balance and the technique. [
I practice with a different understanding. We try to learn and to teach two ways of acting:

First way is to make a given technique work even if uke is resisting or trying to hinder this speficic waza. We try this just by using "aiki", not muscel power. This is usefull to work on a specific technique and on an understanding of details, aiki, connection (atari) and so on. It's just "technical". And it helps to develop self-confidence and "intention". To not just react to a situation but also to create the situation, which is important I think.

To learn to be flexible and to adapt to different situations is not the aim of this first way to learn.
This only is the second way: To learn to adapt, to spontaneusly change or "create" technique, to be flexible. And to accept a given situation.

Quote:
However with too much resistance, the technique is jammed unless u apply superior strength which is not Aikido.
Hm, I / We assume that the techniques of aikido are "designed" to deal with resistance without relying on strength / muscle power. I /we think exactly this to be the essence of aiki
So a "good" technique can not be jammed. (Or only when uke is much more advanced than tori.) Because it disturbes the "structure" of uke and works right through or around his strength. That's why we welcome strong resistance when working this way.

Quote:
Now to the question, how do you know the technique works if it doesn't work against resistance?
Refering to our understanding - you can't. If you have to assume that uke doesn't know what is coming or that he will not block a technique using dumb strengh you will not know wether a technique works or not. What we practice and what we see as "good" waza does not rely on this assumption. Being able to do a certain technique just because or just when uke is unaware of it we don't call "working" or "good". Maybe the action of tori can be called "good" or "working". But not waza in this case.

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 05-12-2011 at 03:18 AM.