View Single Post
Old 05-16-2002, 01:14 AM   #10
Gopher Boy
Dojo: Takemusu Aiki Sydney City Dojo
Sorry to post again so soon but as stated in my last one - it is bucketing down outside and I am trying to delay going out there!

Thanks for the respone Peter - interesting points. I agree whole heartedly that judging character is a somewhat subjective thing and the question has to be asked - "who is this person to judge my character?". However, (and please excuse my naturally naive nature!) I would like to think that sensei is such a person. I, personally believe that our sensei (a shihan) is wonderful in this respect and seems to pass people at gradings with the confidence that they will grow into the new position - for all grades.

Then again, as has been brought up in so many posts, especially on the "how long till shodan" that this was taken from, it seems that the criteria for obtaining rank seems to be a fairly subjective thing as well. As said before - I am only commenting on the posts.

Sorry if I implied that only Aikido has such benefit - it wasn't intended and often I lose track of where I started when I write posts! Maybe (as an after thought,) I meant the specific kind of personal development - as each art would very likely change people in different ways. The self discipline often sited as a great benefit from karate, I do not find in my classes, but I find other things that, for me, I value more.

I like all these replies as they do (as Mayland said) give food for thought - which is always good. I like my ideas to be challenged, especially as a newbie. I like to speak honestly and get honest reactions - thanks for the feedback!

Keep at it - i am glad to have my Aikido development aided by you all!

Phill.