View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #24
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 6

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I probably should not reveal this, but I have actually planned to write 15 columns under the general heading of Transmission, Inheritance and Emulation. The remaining columns of the 15 are now at various stages of completion. However, I keep extending the series, to take account of the various comments made. The series is meant to 'flow' in a general direction from Morihei Ueshiba to his great-grandson Mitsuteru and offer a general historical survey of aikido, as it evolved from being the Founder's brainchild into something much more independent. However, the issues involving World War II deserve separate treatment.

The present column is a general sketch of some of the issues involving World War II. The next column (TIE 7) will look at Omoto and kokutai / nationalism more closely. This will be followed in TIE 8 by a closer look at the iemoto paradigm (how it differs from a ryuha) and at the whole issue of Iwama. TIE 9 will resume the general 'flow' and start to examine Kissomaru Ueshiba's contribution to aikido.
Hi Peter,
As long as you keep writing, we'll keep reading.... I am sure it hasn't escaped your notice that at a certain point, you'll be able to take these posts, throw a binding on them, and have a book.

I really want to thank you for these. You have helped me immensely in sorting out my own thoughts on my teacher. What are his personal quirks and what are the traits that are there because he is Japanese. Once I knew what to look for I've also been able to understand why, as completely different as they are personality wise, Saotome Sensei and Ikeda Sensei share some surprising ideas about the transmission; ideas that as an American teacher, I never would have predicted.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com