View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Investing in society?

Nice topic, Matthew.

I used to be big on the notion of educating people, now I am as cynical as I have ever been.

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote:
I'd also just like to add I like the idea that people who benefit from wellfare, etc. owe some kind of community service.
My God. The corporate execs and politicians are going to have to do some serious hours!

About the statement you quoted, it seems to me that we live in a meritocracy, unless you are on top.

Let's be clear, big business exists because of big government, not in spite of it.

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote:
I also dislike the idea that my money goes toward projects I firmly disagree with. It would be nice if we were allowed to earmark our own taxes, or some portion of them.
That's the beauty of voluntary exchange. Your money goes exactly where you want it to go.

Quote:
Robert Watson wrote:
Really it does not take much effort to write a letter or two once a month to ones local representatives (provided we are talking about U.S.) and let them know what one is thinking. Besides casting an informed vote it is about the minimum effort to actually attempt to be proactive. Believe it or not they do actually read the letters (at least a staffer will) and they might even respond with more than a form letter to well written arguments. If not then they certainly don't deserve ones vote!
Absolutely, true. . . But we have three recent and very notorious examples of our representatives completely ignoring voter sentiment. Regardless of where you stand on the issues, the Patriot Act, the TARP bailout, and the healthcare bill were all voted into law without being read and while heavily opposed by the public, or at least those that made themselves heard.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki