View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 04:04 AM   #24
G DiPierro
United_States
Quote:
Simon Watkins (SimonW11) wrote:
He took the ukemei he was capable of handling the attack. More than that he was capable of choosing the attack. Choosing your opponents attack is about as good as strategy gets.
Honestly, Simon, I don't know where you are getting these ideas. Taking ukemi is not the same thing as handling an attack. In this situation, if Dan wanted to try to handle the man's attack, he would have asked the man to do just that, attack him. The he would have tried to handle it by doing an Aikido technique.

Dan's approach, OTOH, acknowledged that he couldn't safely throw the TKD man in a confrontational situation. That is to say that he admitted that he couldn't handle the man's attack, and by doing so, released much of the tension that had built up. This is, obviously, not the same thing as "handling his attack."
Quote:
LOL I have just read Sensei Hookers counter example. Notice How he also dictated the terms of the encounter.
What are you talking about? If you mean Dennis Hooker, he hasn't even posted on this thread, much less provided a "counterexample" to anything. Moreover, it should be clear from my last post that the TKD man was the one who dictated the terms of this encounter. He demanded that Dan teach him Aikido, and that's exactly what happened.

Last edited by G DiPierro : 10-03-2002 at 04:07 AM.