View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Judo and Aikido

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Humility --it is your skills that count, not your grade. On the tatami and outside of tatami.
Judo people learn that they can lose and also that it's not the end of the world. However, they also learn that their own hard work and conditioning is the most important thing. In aikido, without ever winning or losing, it's easy to get the idea that we can't lose, and that is an early symptom of a crucial sickness.

Quote:
When the technique is going wrong it is always nage fault, never uke. There are no exceptions, uke is always right.
A friend of mine got to Japan after many, many years of saying he wanted to go. He then was seriously injured in his first round of randori when the uke (another old friend) fell on his arm in a sutemi waza. After that, he continually blamed the uke. Sad situation. But it saved him from any more martial arts training in Japan. He actually never really wanted to go.

Quote:
Attacker is not a self-throwing bag full of stones. He is very alive and constantly creating opportunities to counter your technique.
In judo, this is understood, but not so widely in aikido and I think it's getting worse.

Modern aikido is like weight-lifting with papier mache barbells. Our weights look the same as the strongman's and we use exactly the same movements as the strongman, but our weights are weightless. This is the fallacy of the unresisting uke. Judo prevents that idea from taking root.

Quote:
From strictly technical point of view it is your position (where you are in comparison to the postion of the attacker's body) that decides what technique you apply. So the most important goal of the initial entry is to get to the right position.
I agree that position decides the technique. Nowadays, my thinking is to not need any special position because judo provides techniques for any relative position of nage to uke. Take the technique the position allows.

Great points.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com