View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
PeteM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Question football and aikido

I thought I would share a little perspective on something I have been working on. I have recently taken a break from my aiki training to play football on a men's semi-pro team. Of course I put aside the fact that I most likely would have tested for my Shodan this month to do this. But, I believe that if you reach a personal plateau, maybe a little break is in order. Anyway, at first glance, football is all violence and pounding. But I have since discovered that good aiki principle does actually apply. For example in blocking a 250lb Linebacker, at 165lbs I would be a fool to absorb his energy, but a good kokyu nage seems to work very well in re-directing his energy. As a Tailback, keeping my center is crucial, staying low with my shoulders square and my eyes straight ahead, helps me to keep my balance.

I recall having a discussion with a friend in the dojo about his boxing. How often he found himself referring back to aiki training to be successful.

It just proves that where we may take a break from the dojo and our aiki training, it is always with us.

I do look forward to the end of my season as I have really started to miss my dojo and all the folks that train there.

Pete