View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Senshusei course

For Jamie, Alexandre and anyone else who's interested

There's some useful info on the Yoshinkan Hombu website.

It looks to me like you won't be able to get a full time job (i.e.: on a Working Visa) while doing the Senshusei course because you're effectively putting in uchi deshi (live in student) hours (at least three practices a day and plenty of cleaning). The site recommends either the Working Holiday visa or the regular holiday visa. The former at least enables you to work a little when you can, while the latter means you'd have to bring plenty of money over and get sponsored by the dojo for a cultural visa later when the holiday period (90 days) runs out (that's if they think you're worth sponsoring).

British Passport holders have the good luck of being able to renew the holiday visa within Japan (i.e.: you don't have to pop out to Korea or somewhere for a long weekend to get another 90 day visa). However, only Brits up to 25 years old can usually get the Working Holiday Visa (other countries can get it up to 30). Not all nationalities have it this lucky. For example, I'm currently in the process of mailing original documents proving my work status, wages and personal guarantee so that a Malaysian friend can visit me for just one week.

Tokyo is one of the world's big expensive cities, but Japan generally isn't as expensive as it used to be. "Expensive" is relative anyway, but I'd say from a British point of view that pounds go pretty far and London probably beats Tokyo for wallet-evisceration these days. Accommodation would maybe be the biggest killer, but if you're willing to share you could probably club together with a few folk and cut costs that way. If you take a train or bus regularly on a particular route, you can also ask about getting a teikiken (commuter pass) which might get you a small discount. If you're not too far away, cycling could be an option. For cheap travel around Tokyo and Japan generally, I'd recommend a look at the JR website.

I hope this helps people.

Carl

PS: I initially liked Angry White Pyjamas, then after I actually came here for the first time, I felt Twigger's tone towards the culture and Aikido training was a bit off. Mike Kimeda's comments and others also shed a little light in the book review section of Aikiweb. I'd say take AWP with a pinch of salt.