View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
aikidoka_t
Dojo: none currently
Canada
Question looking for feedback

Greetings,

I have been for a long time, a silent viewer of these forums. I frequented the site, greatly enjoying the doka of the day as well as the pictures and discussions. I decided its high time I began participating more actively.

I studied Aikido for two years before I was forced to move far from any dojo. To this day I still practice what I know daily, and attempt to learn more through books and video. Needless to say it is nothing in comparison to what I could learn from a sensei.

Now to my point, before I studied Aikido I studied Kendo and Iaijutsu. Thus when I discovered the bokken work in Aikido the first time I was quite excited. I must say I liked it much better then Kendo, which focused a bit too much on formally striking certain points in certain ways, and found that Aikido allowed me to get a better "feel" for the weapon and its use.

I'd simply like to know what other peoples opinions on the weapons training with a bokken in Aikido, vs arts like iaijutsu or kendo.

Thanks for you time, and I greatly look forward to participating in more discussions here.

Peace,
Whitney Titus