Dojo: Seikokan , Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 15

Hello Peter,

Many thanks for the follow-up.

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Ernesto,
I think we have discussed the late Sadao Takaoka before.
We may have. I can't recall the context why his name came up over dinner. I just remembered Kaku Kouzo devoted a chapter on him in his book.

Quote:
I have not read The Mysterious Power of Ki, but will receive it in a day or two from Amazon Japan. I suspect that is a one-off English version produced with other authors & translators. I will let you know what I think of it when I have read it.
I haven't read it in years but it didn't leave a big impression at the time. I do recall there where some quotations and historical anecdotes that where interesting. Far as I remember, no sources where cited but I'd have to check to make sure.

Quote:
Miyake Hitoshi has produced a similar book, entitled The Mandala of the Mountain: Shugendo and Folk Religion. Miyake is an acknowledged scholar of shugendo and has produced some very good work. The English book is a collection of essays and chapters published elsewhere, cobbled together as a book. I think the translators would have done better to focus on a single substantial work, such as his Shinto and Shugendo: The Rise of Popular Religious Thinking (神道と修験道民俗宗教思想の展開).
That's interesting. I'll look into that as far as finances will allow me. I just have too many books on my wish-list...

BTW
I'm slowly picking up my research on Shirata Sensei and am following up on a few leads as we speak. Going over my old notes, I stumbled on one of your suggestions regarding Takao Kobayashi. Thus far he seems like a hard person to locate but you mentioned he noted his recollections on aikido in Aomori in several articles. These where, as I recall, published in the commemorative books of the Tohoku Aikido Renmei? I'll send you a PM if needed.

Thank you once more for what you may not perceive as being a gift but which I, as Chuck, do.

Best regards,

Ernesto