View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 08:20 AM   #10
jxa127
Scott,

Personally, I'm not sure anybody's advice is going to help you. None of us are in your exact situation.

You're an adult. Figure out what you need, and if you're not getting it at your current dojo, then go to another one. Follow your heart and be true to yourself.

I know I've been through times when I felt that my sensei had it out for me and other times when he ignored me. Over time, both situations stopped bothering me. When he's really pushing me, I'm grateful for the individual attention. When he's ignoring me, I'm glad I'm doing well enough at that time to not need it. Once or twice, he's said or done something that upset me (for one reason or another) and I talked with him about it, resolved the issue and moved on feeling a lot better.

In my opinion, the only difference between you and the instructor is that he or she has a set of skills and experience with aikido that you don't have. Otherwise, the instructor is simply another adult. Treat him or her with respect, but don't be awed.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames