View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 02:57 PM   #66
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Re: yet another annoying cross training q

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
If one defines "martial art" as studying fighting techniques or strategies for combat situations, you`re gonna leave out a lot of martial arts. Iaido and Kyudo, to name two, have no practical application yet are rightly considered martial arts. In my opinion, those who think Aikido is not complete and in need of crosstraining are looking at Aikido as a fighting method, something that it is generally not. If one does look at it in that way, there is a strong possibility that that person will never understand what Aikido truly is, which is a "Budo," a method of developing ourselves as better people USING martial arts practice.

This does not mean that one can not use aikido practice as a part of practical physical conflict training. In this case one must look elsewhere or expand training as David Valadez has done. (see the grappling clips on his website.) I have never seen anyone argue that aikido is the end all be all of practical self defense, the argument that aikido (or judo or kendo, or DRAJ, etc) is complete means that it is complete as a Budo.

Charles

Like i stated in my first post that responded to you (and u completely ignored my points) is that aikido is not the only martial art that focuses on things like this. And you said it too as you can see above.

The difference is, there are effective martial arts that also teach good morals and focus on working to make yourself a better person. Im not saying that Aikido isnt effective, im saying , self defense wise, that aikido doesnt cover everything. Budo wise? maybe. But i'm sure there is more to be learned somewhere.

But do u see what i'm getting at? It is possible to want to learn both self defense AND how to be a better person. At which point people may choose to step outside Aikido and explore everything else thats out there. Personally this is why i chose to start crosstraining. I found another martial art that taught a different kind of fighting style but still incorporated good morals, ki (in this case qi, same thing tho) and how to further yourself as an individual. And that martial art is Shaolin Kung fu. And i find that it goes along with aikido quite nicely in almost all aspects.

Hope this makes things clearer.
Paige