View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada
Re: Aikiweb as a "Big Tent"

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
You (plural) want respect for the disparity of aikido until a group shows up with a far different viewpoint and/or cause and then it's disparity of aikido *except* for that group which just needs to STFU.
Mark,

It's not "STFU". It's "state your experience, opinion or disagreement, then step back and allow others to state theirs". I think we want to encourage the "far different viewpoints", not drive them away. I for one have come to enjoy the IP discussions when they stay on topic and maintain a respectful tone, on threads where they are relevant.

Having said that, Jun's remarks are not directed specifically at Dan or at the IP "theme". This is a reminder to everyone that it is not necessary to dig in and defend your opinion at all costs against all parties that express disagreement. Additionally, personal attacks are never appropriate, even in response to real or perceived personal attacks. We can only have a healthy, respectful discussion community if everybody contributes with that goal in mind.

Guidelines for maintaining collective sanity on Aikiweb:
  • Just say what you want to say (relavent to the topic).
  • Don't take it personally if someone disagrees with you.
  • Don't try to convince the world of your opinion (it's not going to happen).
  • Re-post if you have something new to add to the conversation, not just to say the same thing as before, but LOUDER (by dominating a thread, walls of text, bullying people into submission, etc.).
  • Ignore all personal attacks on yourself or others. Flame wars are genuinely harmful and upsetting for the parties involved.

Aikiweb is a very cool thing, and I for one have a certain fondness for the people on here that I have never even met in person (even the ones I disagree with!). Let's not give up on it out of frustration. Let's agree to go in a better direction for the benefit of all.

Excuse me now while I go clear my ignore list.

Peace,

Conrad