View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #592
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
Good point Joe.

I'd say that at his size Tamura was an excellent example of someone who found an extra dimension of power through his Aikido practice.

Whether others consider this to be Chi / Ki or whatever is up to them but he definitely had "something".

So for me, this "something" is part of what I aspire to in my training and to write it off completely makes little sense...in fact to try and do Aikido without ki...well, you might as well call it something else - Ai do perhaps?

(although personally I'd think of it more as jujitsu...and hasten to add that there is nothing wrong with jujitsu at all - it just isn't Aiki in my view)

Cheers

D
Hi Daren ,
Nice to hear from you.My other example of an exceptional Aikidoka was the late great Sekiya Sensei.He was not an exceptionally big built man, of average height, very soft but after establishing contact with you he totally controlled you with virtually no effort on his part. Sekiya Sensei in his training stressed good posture and relaxed shoulders .At the time of meeting him I was a
a bit physical[years of Judo training].Sensei advised me to train as though I was very ill, using minimum strength and see if I could get maximum effectiveness with minimum effort.
I do think that this advice had some bearing on my later Aikido development.At the age of 72 i think Sekiya Sensei's advice
is every bit as pertinent now as it was in mid 70s.
I also was pinned down by Sekiya Sensei with a Kesa Gatame hold and despite my experience/youth I could not budge him.I felt like a building was on top of me.
Did Sekiya Sensei use Ki?He certainly used something.