View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #176
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Ueshiba taking Ukemi

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
What vaule is rank other than your relationship to your teacher? Interesting! And it ties in with #5 and #7.
Who can define in any given Dojo whose definition of Aiki matters?

Well, Who is the real authority? The man with twenty years of sweat in training? Or the man who can be unmoved by the former's every attempt and yet move -him- around at will with Aiki? Expertise due to relaitionship? or skill?
"I don't look to authority for truth. I look to truth for authority."

Again who is really doing Aikido?
The masters of Aiki? Or the masters of early students response-driven ukemi play that has, over time, solidified a method or corpus of training that was never the intent in the first place?
I hear the echo of a booming voice entering the Hombu shouting "This is not my Aikido!"
And being written off as just a cantakerous old man. When he in fact might have meant every, single, word.

So, is it in structure and the resultant aiki
Or the waza that is just a manifistation of the results.
I think its clear that the larger body of practitioners are just going through the motions and performing the later.

Cheers
Dan
Without arguing for or against any of the above, where does the uke/nage paradigm properly fit into practice?

Is it a transition point in time to describe who is doing what?

Is each person always uke AND nage at any given time?

Is it the middleground between solo work and randori to "drill" waza that may "happen" as a result of structure and aiki?

Does it 'depend'?

Should it be thrown out altogether?

To include Ecosamurai's point, does all of this hinge on an assumption of how one's practice includes atemi?

I have my own thoughts, but I'm a pretty small fry in this happy meal, so I'm more interested in others' discussions.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com