View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Shinmai
Australia
Taigi: a few questions

Hi guys.

My style doesn't pay much attention to the Taigi of Tohei Sensei, but when the Taigi came to my attention I was curious and did a bit of research on the topic. My questions are for self education more than anything else.

There doesn't seem to be much written on the genesis of the Taigi. As I understand it Tohei Sensei originally designed 30 Taigi, and another was added later. The new one was called Kitei Taigi, was originally un-numbered, but is often referred to as #0.

Is that a fair summary?

Was #0 Kitei Taigi added by Tohei Sensei or someone else?

Looking through list after list of the 31 Taigi I noticed that the optimal execution times assigned to specific Taigi vary considerably from list to list. Is there a reason for these differences, or are they just transcription errors, or are certain instructors making changes for their own purposes?

I have been unable to find a list that claims to be the original designed by Tohei Sensei, with his original timings. Does such exist?

The most complete set of demonstration videos I can find is this, but even in that lot there are two Taigi missing. Anyone know of a better source of all the Taigi being demonstrated?

Thanks for your continuing contribution to my education.