View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #18
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: to cross train or not to cross train?

Almost by definition Tomiki Aikido goes hand in hand with Judo.

Judo will allow you to start doing randori sooner (I am sure) and from experience it is much easier to get the hang of than Tomiki randori. When you do start Tomiki randori lesson learnt are applicable.

Tomiki was a Judoka and so were his best students. A lot of the terminology you will hear are common.

At one point in Japan I was in the same position - not enough training time in what I wanted to do and Judo worked out great.

Quote:
Thomas Shrapnel wrote: View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I thought I'd post in here instead of starting a new one.

As I posted a while back, I've recently started learning Tomiki Aikido (only been there for about a month) and I'm really liking it. However, training is only twice a week at this Dojo, and I'd like to train in something a couple more times a week as well. Can any of you fine folk recommend a martial art that would compliment the Aikido I've just started learning but, ideally, is different enough not to confuse things?

I have no intention of stopping Aikido as I've wanted to learn it ever since I found about it but, like I said, it would be nice to train in something else as well, for fitness and practicality. I'm not saying that Aikido isn't practical, but my Sensei did imply it takes a long time to become proficient enough to be able to use it effectively.

Thanks

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido