Thread: PBT question
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #30
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: PBT question

...well there is analyzing it, and there is experiencing it. I was there at the Dan test on the tape. If it is the sequence I am thinking of, I am one of the Uke.

There are several things that have been stated in the thread that I would like to address

1. There is no atemi in the randori as it was practiced in the dojo at that time. That is not to say that it does not exist. It does. It is just that we were not to use it in the dojo.

2. As Uke, we had several instructions that were always to be followed on test day.

a. go full speed
b. take them down
c. choke them out
d. protect yourself at all times
e. stay calm - never get mad
f . do not punch or kick uke (even out of anger, even if they did that to us)

Lastly - and this was something we, as students agreed to outside of the dojo instructions - "There are no friends on test day."

3. Tanking - not a chance in hell. And, if you even thought it, for a even a split second and we caught it we went in for the choke.

4. As Uke went down there was basically one rule to follow - each uke went for one of three options.

a. choke
b. tie up the hands and torso
c. tie up both legs

5. Nage had one job - survive. He accomplished this by:

a. successfully executing first cut and circling around to deal with the closest uke.
b. alternating between irimi and tenkan dealing with each uke until taken down to the ground
c. gain control over one or two of the uke as you go down
d. get out, get back up and continue

6. As for Seagal Sensei, if you ever attacked him anything less than full steam (with the intention to take him to the ground and choke him out), or to take his head off with a shomen or yokomen strike, you probably would never have that chance again.

Of course, there is also the idea that you are not seeing everything that occurred that day. The tape was edited for content, for one thing, and the other thing is that the context for the test was something that came from the culture of the dojo. In actuality, the culture of the dojo was entirely built around the magnanimity of the test -- both for the Nage and Uke.

7. Seagal Sensei was not the only one who could do this successfully. Matsuoka Sensei could always replicate the model even with four or five uke trying to take his head off. In many ways he has advanced it since that day of the black belt test known as Bloody Sunday back in 1992 when 13 students went up and 11 of them failed. There were others who at times were also successful for the five to 10 seconds needed to pass the shodan test. And then there was Eddy. Eddy did not pass that day, as most failed the test, often times repeatedly, over several years. However that day Eddy did something that no one else did. I won't say what it was, but looking back on things that happened ever since; I can say for sure that is, having said it, he encouraged Seagal Sensei to focus on him in a way that none other had yet managed and with Seagal Sensei, having him focus on you was never a good thing. He was tougher on Eddy than all of the other candidates over the next four years. As it turns out, and probably due to that focus being on him, Eddy's randori was the best I have ever seen outside of Seagal and Matsuoka Sensei's. When I say, "ever" I mean in person at any dojo, on any video I have ever come across, and at any demonstration of aikido that I have had to good fortune to observe, including the Doshu's.

This was all a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Now that I recall, I do believe they made a movie about it...

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.