View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #312
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Actually, quite the opposite. Mr. McGrew is doing a good job of tainting the reputation of the ASU. Had I done something like this, I know of quite a few seniors in at least two organizations I belonged to who would have walloped me up side the head (deservedly so) and told me to cut that sh*t out. If I was clueless, things would have been explained, in careful detail, just how badly I was acting. Had I continued, I would have been unceremoniously removed from the organizations.

While we might joke at practice, smile, have fun, we still take budo very seriously. And lackadaisically arguing with experienced budo men (Ellis Amdur, Chris Li, etc) because you've read books, articles, watched videos and asked some questions is, at the least, very presumptuous. I can only hope that some seniors in the ASU are sitting down with Mr. McGrew and explaining how a "good budo man" should conduct himself.

Mark
not to worry about the reputation of ASU, since i are one. our reputation first and last will be done on the mat. words are like drums. the more hollowed the drum the louder it is. i just laughed when he would argue with Ellis on Saotome book and stuffs, but didn't even realize there was a picture of Ellis and Terry Dobson attacking Saotome on the beach, in one of the book's chapter. then arguing with Chris Li on japanese translation and didn't even bother do a bit of background research that it's one of Chris area of expertise. then asking ASU folks to do some uprising against the evil horde of Dan, yet didn't bother to check that at least two rokudan of ASU taking lessons from Dan; and one of them posts on aikiweb quite regularly and had knocked me in the head a few times for being dense. personally, i found it's entertaining in a sad kind of way.

ken, btw, dan's evil horde isn't the only one that needs challenge. there are the mike sigman's horde, arkuzawa's horde, ushiro's horde, couple of chen's horde and some others. i didn't mention howie's horde since he just has a bunch of misfit groupies, so not really horde like, if you count fishing and drinking and carousing. come to think of it, there is a phi's horde which includes various personalities of phi. and let me tell you. phi horde is the most vicious one of them all, because phi has ki, and in abundant of it.

for other folks, think of this as a training/testing kind of thing. it's painful, but it will soon pass, like a bad case of build up ki which will not ever becomes aiki, but more along the line of aiiieeeee kkiiiii.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org