Thread: Empathy...
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Empathy...

It's funny, Rob. I grew up with a friend in school... who had a sister that was so distant. Everyone treated her badly and called her names... and these were her brother's friends! I was the only one (that I saw) that would just say "Hi" instead of calling her some foul name.

Anyhow, years go by and through time, conversation and living closer to one another, she and I began dating... on a secretive level. We never called it dating, we just "went out." This went on and I learned about her on so many different levels. She was a far greater person that I ever knew or gave her credit for. Sure, she made good grades in school, but that was all I knew till we dated. After months had gone by, we started finishing each other's sentences or I'd suggest eating somewhere that she was just thinking about. Things like this became so common place between us, we got to the point of just looking at one another... laughing and then doing what we had been thinking... without ever saying a word.

Life went on and we went our seperate ways. I lost touch with her and searched for years, but never found her. So, I got on with life, found my current wife, married and I'm living a pretty good life. I always wondered if she went back to school, persued her dream of working with animals, got married and found peace?

Well, two days ago, her brother... my long lost friend, sent me an e-mail. The following day, I found her. Everything I could have hoped for her has in fact come true. She found peace, is persuing her doctorate, in engaged to be married and life is going on. I was very happy for her... she deserves the best.

She will always have a special place in my heart, but I can't undo what is done. And I'm sure it all worked out for the best. But the empathy was strong and is still there. It's a very interesting thing.