View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #18
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Train of thought

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote:
Dan harden wrote....Ask him to start fighting you in a pick-a-part style. Ask him to stand out of your range and pick you apart with kicks and strikes. Try to "use" his energy against him to defend yourself and bring his attacking energy against him while you do…..only.…..the Aikido techniques you do every week in class.

Why Dan....?????
Wy must it all be about fighing and winning??

Why can't it be for the reasons I train.

It seems like this has turned into a Mike Harden and Dan Sigman forum (I know I got the names wrong...I think they are the same person)
....all about developing Ki by not training but douing some of Mike's tricks or about real fighting using Dan's ideas about MMA.
I don't think there is any thing wrong with either of those agendas other than I think they are using this forum to market themselves.
This is an aikido forum.....fighting????/

Does anyone train to creat peace in their own life.......to effect a change in themselves that might help others???

I do..( go ahead tell me I am new age ...Mike...I guess I am).

I have no interest in fighing or learning tricks that don't come from weekly training.

It seems like everyone has been shut up and this is all that in on aikiweb.....maybe it needs a new name..like Hardmanweb.

There. Now I feel better
Mary
I don't think it has to be all about fighting. But when people ask about fighting, or talk about fighting, then it is time to discuss what fighting/resistance is about. It is important that people have a realistic view of what they can and can not do. I have no problems with someone training aikido to make them a better person, get in better shape, find people to drink beer with, or whatever other reason you can come up with. However, the moment someone starts to talk about using aikido to deal with resistance, that is where I like to butt in. I train martial arts not for self defense, not for inner peace, or ki development (although if any of that happens, I wouldn't mind). I train to learn how to deal with resistance, stress, and conflict, for pure enjoyment, and for the adrenaline rush of competition. I train aikido now and again because I find valuable skills that I hope I can one day leverage in my sport.

I post on posts that deal with fighting, resistance, or training methods to develop these abilities. You will notice I do not post on posts very often that do not deal with these ideas. It's not because I do not think other reasons for training are worthless, it is because I simply do not have much to say on other subjects. I do however think it is important to point out that aikidoka call what they do martial arts. It is going to be hard to get away from actually dealing with fighting/resistance and still be a martial art. You can call it blending, flowing, etc. But we are still talking about dealing with someone bent on hurting you. That is fighting/resistance. So at its core, I belive martial arts are about dealing with resistance/fighting.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein