View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #29
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Value of atemi

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
LC, Kevin, my understanding is quite diffrent. People don't attack when they don't think they can win.
Again, being specific is important. Now it appears that you are referring to an attack as in a self defence situation and not attack as done in the dojo, in which case of course the person attacking will not do so until they have selected you to be an appropriate target, i.e. an easy one.

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
I agree that if uke grabs you and keeps his center he has not taken his own balance, but why does he have to? If he grabbed you you have been given energy. He is either going to pull his energy back or extend more foward via push or strike.
Read what I said in my last post again, this is exactly what I indicated earlier.

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
Him grabbing you staying centered means nothing.
In fact, his staying centred is extremely important since it will effectively mean that a vast majority of Aikidoka will not be able to deal with this sort of attack unless their practice includes a deep study of kuzushi. Grabbing and staying centred does not mean grabbing and not attacking. It is knowing how to control one's body so that one is not easily moved or controlled while still maintaining a powerful enough structure to launch an effective attack. This is the difference between folks who really know how to attack effectively and folks who do not. Difficult to describe, easy to feel.

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
My argument is not that atemi are worthless, I am just debating where they belong in Aiki arts.
Where something belongs in an art has more to do with the particular ideas and theories of the founder of the art than anything else imo. I can put a lot of things into my Aikido, it does not mean that it belongs in Aikido. So to answer this question it may be best you read up on Ueshiba M.'s understanding and approach to atemi or whoever the head of the style is that you do. I have already indicated how Shodokan (Tomiki) folks see it (generally) in an earlier post. Things may be seen differently in other places.

Gambatte.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca