View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is working with strong-gripped, "static grabs" in your aikido

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
But the fact is that this kind of grab is not martial. it has nothing to do with actual martial application. The point of grabbing is to neutralize one limb and effect the structure of the opponent so that his other possible strikes are limited or eliminated.
How do you reconcile this opinion with the historical role of grabs within nihon jujutsu, specifically where uke's grab is an attempt to immobilize tori's limbs so as to keep them from using or deploying a weapon? Wouldn't that be martial application? Certainly one could argue that in our modern society this isn't relevant, but in your police tactics, surely you address the idea of a strong attacker attempting to impede an officer from deploying a weapon or getting to their radio. I know this is a very important part of the more LEO specific aspects of what we do that came from Bernie Lau. The dynamics and specifics involved are very similar to traditional applications that I've found in Shindo Yoshin ryu or Yanagi Ryu (just as examples). I agree with a lot of what you wrote there, and hope that it's clear that when (as I mentioned earlier) think "strong grab" I am not thinking of muscular pressure purely from the hands, but a full body grab to immobilize nage's ability to move, much like you describe.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu