View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
lbb
United_States
Re: I want my Aikido to Matter

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
there is an "it". he spoke of it in his blog. his statement "I want my Aikido to Matter". "my Aikido", not "Aikido" in general, and that stated a subjective point of view, his. what matter to him, isn't necessary matter to you. i saw his "it". No idea what you not see.
You continue to miss my point, Phi. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with subjectivity or objectivity.

This is what's actually in the essay.

Quote:
In regards to Aikido, I want it to matter. What do I mean? I don’t look at Aikido as so much as a series of prescribed moves but as a method for teaching me good movement. When people decide to spar and use Aikido, I believe their approach is all wrong. What Aikido teaches is Maai like any martial art system. Watching people trying to spar against a striking system they are not familiar with makes me cringe.
So, Phi: precisely what is the "it"? What? Let's break it down:

"In regards to Aikido, I want it to matter. What do I mean?"

Oh yay! Now he's about to tell us what "aikido mattering" means to him! But then he says:

"I don’t look at Aikido as so much as a series of prescribed moves but as a method for teaching me good movement."

Ok...so...um...what makes his aikido "matter" is that it is "a method for teaching [him] good movement"? Is that it?

That was my question, and THAT'S ALL. Now please stop trying to make it into something else. Sheesh almighty.