View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 11:55 PM   #55
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
David Valadez (senshincenter) wrote:
"What if they don't quit?") Have you trained under these conditions and if so, what did you find?

I would say that locks are more something one falls into -- something stemming from traps, which stem from proper positioning, which stems from proper timing, which allows one to capitalize upon a specific tactical environment that allows for a lock to be placed. This is obviously consistent with the tactic of aiki, but it is also the only sure way of making sure a lock is applicable --

but you cannot force the lock itself. As the opponent falls into the lock, we ourselves must also fall into the application of the lock. In my experience it is the fail to do this that makes most applications of locks/holds fallible -- not striking, not breaking, and not holding, or their opposites.

Thank you,

dmv
A lot of good points. I guess one thing I have been thinking about when training under those conditions is the to play with making them feel safe where they are and to make it scary to attempt to break free. This tends to take the fight out of them even when they are trying not to stop till they break free. Using a bit of behavioral psychology.

If you want to hold a lock a long time you have to be very sensitive to controlling the trunk of the body and aware enough to move. A lot of nonverbal communication going on.

I liked very much the way you put that last bit about a forcing a lock but falling into or letting it happen.

Very well said.

Craig

HKS