View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #73
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States
Re: New breed of Aikido

I agree with Ledyard Sensei and who knows better than him!
As a Taekwondo stylist I recognize this as a classic two-step sparring technique with one person attacking and the other counterattacking. There are thousands of variations but the same theme. As an Aikido trained martial artist I have had to learn to constantly be aware of controlling my and uke centers to perform any technique and the emphasis on smooth almost effortless motion with a sense of ki flow. This is classic hard style with some joint locks, a few throws, mixed with hand and foot strikes. Label it as Taekwondo, Hapkido, or Karate and I''ll believe it to be properly labelled. To label this as Aikido is to not understand basic concepts of Aikido.
I noted that on the side videos there was a video labelled "Nishio Sensei" at a an Aikido friendship session. I must admit I have not heard of him since I have only been in Aikido for 15 months but I wanted to compare another "Aikido" video. Wow! What a difference! That is Aikido! Flowing, a master of balance and control, and a sense of tremendous power using locks and throws at leisure. The sword work was beautiful to watch. A master of Aikido. A picture is worth a thousand words.
I am only a novice at Aikido but I know it when I see it and the first video ain't it!!

Doc

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi