View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #39
Janet Rosen

Re: Looking for first hakama - help, please!

David, definitely a case of YMMV: I don't know what kind of fabric you were using, but my cotton twill was a devil of a burden to carry, fold, manipulate - origami is NOT something I"ve ever enjoyed even w/ little pieces of paper - and my hak most definitely used a full 4 yards of fabric.
For folks thinking about this as a project: as sewing complexity gets rated on commercial patterns, this is NOT an advanced project; the stitches and techniques are pretty basic. It is the proper measurement and the proper placement of the elements that requires attention to detail.
For this reason, a less experienced sewer will probably want to hand-baste for accuracy, but a more experienced sewer who normally just pins, should be fine (I cannot imagine any fabric suitable for a hakama - that is, a sturdy woven fabric without lycra or other stretch threads in the blend - would stretch or distort if pin-basted).
I have to add that you are one brave soul, David, for attempting this as a non-sewing DIY-er!!!! Major kudos to ya!

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 07-13-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield