View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #69
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Daito Ryu, Yoshinkan, Taichi & Secrets

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
I really have few boundaries when it comes to learning from qualified people..... whatever their special skills are. I just ask that they be not gods or bullies.
Hmmmmmm.... I just glanced back at a number of posts with "godlike" references to obscure and often wrongly used terms that seem to imply "godlike" and "advanced" understanding of the arts. I also noticed a number of continued intimations about "can you use it in a fight" which were strangely like the intimidation of "bullies". I guess it's all in how you interpret a word. Sort of like "Swiftboating", now a verb, which means on the one side a verb that connotes lies and slander, but on the other side indicates inconvenient truths which the people yelling "Swiftboating" would just as soon that people not learn about.

I dunno.... once I catch on that someone is posturing in order to catch students and/or attention, I tend to not want to show any of the little I know to them. Not to punish them, but more out of seeing the obvious... these people will turn around and use what I show them to further try to impress people or collect students, even if they only have a few pieces of the puzzle. It's those students I worry about. Granted, that doesn't seem to matter to most people, but I'm odd that way.

Regards,

Mike Sigman