View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #56
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Functional Ki Skills

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
I guess we need to have a discussion now of what we are defining as subsconscious.
Well, maybe that merits discussion, but not necessarily now, before we have some basis about the actual factors involved in "Ki tests". Insofar as I can tell, there isn't an actual accord about what is happening mechanically (other than a solid-feeling resistance, hopefully passive) and I've offered up the position that I'm not too concerned with the actual visualizations (whether the mind is empty, visualizes scenario A, or visualizes scenario B). I'm assuming that your subjective judgement of "measurements done properly" is pretty much in line with what I've seen at a few Ki-Aikido dojo's, which is generally in agreement with what I've also encountered among some fairly skilled Chinese practitioners.

Let's assume for the moment that we are generally talking about the same phenomenon and let's take the fairly general example of Tohei standing while someone pushes on his forearm. One of the first questions is, "given the same 'feel' to replicating that particular test, are there actually two different ways of doing it and arriving at the same results and 'feel'?". I'd like to suggest that such an instance is improbable. Would you agree?

Regards,

Mike Sigman