Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Victoria Pitt
Dojo: Shinjinkai, Chicago, IL
United_States
Re: Enemies and Friends -- Applying "True Budo is Love."

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Victoria,

Not to take anything away from your experiences working in a bar as a bouncer, but that might be a slightly different environment from a strategic standpoint in dealing with long term sustainment of peace and harmony.

I mean, your concerns are fairly transactional and tolerances of behavoir are actually very narrow, and the rule of law in an establishment are pretty autocratic actually, since you either obey by the rules or your out.

I think the rules of engagement for bouncers are actually pretty simple for the most part and the application of tactics, techniques, and proceedures are really concerned with maintaining good order and conduct with in the boundaries of the establishment. If you don't then you apply your escalation of force criteria and they are out the door, and that terminates the relationship, exchange, or transaction.

Nothing wrong with that at all and I fully support your tactics and experiences of course as it sounds like you really know what you are doing.

However, when you consider many other scenarios outside of a bar in life, things are not so clear. (I also understand and acknowledge that these things also occur in a bar environment, but as I stated, they are subjugated by the fact that there is narrower set of tolerances and an autocratic rule within the boundaries of the bar.).

In the bigger scheme of things in the greater society this type strategy/tactics is not so easy to apply. You have to constantly deal with many variables, unknowns, and second/third order affects of actions you take.

In many instances it is hard to ascertain "friend or foe", and you don't have the ability to remove someone from the equation by kicking them out of a bar or banning them...no you will have to deal with them again and again.

I am all about dealing with folks that need to be dealt with in a physical manner. No issue there, I have had a fair amount of practice in this area as well.

However, most of the situations we deal with that are real problems for us in life are not so cut and dry and transactional in nature.

Therefore, I think, practices such as budo gives us much more than simple transactional techniques and skills to deal with the relationships we encounter in life...be it in business, our families, friends, enemies, or society.

Not meaning this as a criticism of your post or training. Simply would like to offer an alternative perspective of what I consider to be a very important point.
And I guess I am saying that if a male strikes me at any time, any where, he's going down. There is no situation (at least with me since I don't go around hitting people or insulting them) where it is okay for him to do so. Unless the guy who is hitting me is a 50 lbs weakling, then maybe, just maybe, I won't break something, but then again, I just need to go "boo" at a guy like that. The other one is females since most females do not know how to fight and do the hair pulling thing which wouldn't be fair. Then I'm like the mama-tiger playing with a kitten so I will restrain.

In my life time, I've been attacked by another woman once. Every other time its been a guy who had something to prove. I don't want a long tussle with you- I just want you to leave me alone. The best way to do that is to make sure you can't get back up to hit me again.

If you don't hit me, then I love you. Strike me, then its on.

~Do one thing each day that scares you...~